Thursday, December 13, 2012

December - It's just a month

The last few years I've noticed a trend that really bothers me.  In fact, I find it appalling.  It's the idea that people seem to have that December is some kind of sacred month and it belongs to them....and only them. 

So at this time of year I see a whole lot of people who somehow find it offensive when people say Happy Holidays to them instead of Merry Christmas.  I'm confused, when did Christmas stop being a holiday??  Exactly what is offensive about someone wishing you happiness during the holiday you celebrate?  And if the person is a stranger how are they to know you celebrate Christmas anyway? And what's up with the whole "Don't let them take Christ out of Christmas" thing?  Since Christianity is based on a personal relationship with Christ seems to me the only person who can take Christ out of Christmas for you is yourself.  Then there is the basic fact, whether you like it or not, there are a lot of people who celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday. 

I hate to break it to you but Christians don't own the month of December.  I can name three other holidays that occur in December.  

Hanukkah is a celebration of an historical event....a history shared by Christians.

Yule is a celebration of the sun's "rebirth" as we pass through the longest night into gaining back daylight.  A lot of our "sacred" Christmas symbols come from this.

I'll be honest, I have no clue where Kwanza came from or what it's about, but that really doesn't matter.  Just because I don't believe in something doesn't make it any less holy or important to someone else.   

Here's the thing.  It shouldn't matter if someone wishes you a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Blessed Yule or Happy Kwanza.  You should take it in the manner intended....a wish for happiness for you.  There's nothing there to be offended about.

So to my friends and family, whatever you celebrate and find scared this time of year I hope it's a time of joy and happiness for you and yours.

Happy Holidays.


1 comment:

  1. Happy Holidays to you too :) This has so much truth in it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete