Friday, April 20, 2012

WWJD??

There is a reason I don't attend church any more. I feel somewhere along the way Christianity in this country has taken a serious wrong turn...in more ways than one.  But I'm only going to focus on one in this post.

I understand Christians are supposed to share their faith with others.  I'm ok with that.  But let's take a look at what it means to share.  According to the dictionary Share means "to talk about one's thoughts, feelings, or experiences with others". I'm ok with that too. Obviously I like sharing my thoughts, feelings and experiences with others, otherwise I wouldn't blog! Somehow that definition has been forgotten by a segment of Christians...the ones I call the Vocal Minority (VM). The VM has lost sight of a few simple truths.


1. You are to love your neighbour as yourself.  In other words hate and intolerance have no place in a Christian's world
2. It's not your place or job to judge anyone else. Worry about your own house.
3. Only those who have never sinned can point fingers at others.
4. You're supposed to act as close to the way Jesus acted as humanly possible.  You know, the same man who made friends with prostitutes, criminals, cheats and liars. 


Instead, the VM have taken a stance that they hold a monopoly on what is right and moral and they firmly believe everyone must be forced to follow their particular interpretation.  Beliefs, religion or morals are not things you can, or should, force on anyone.  No one has the right to do that. Period. Bottom line. I don't care how right you believe your religion is.  Which leads me to probably the most important truth the VM have forgotten.


Jesus never tried to legislate his teachings.


So what would Jesus do today? I don't know. But I'm pretty sure he'd not be a part of the VM.

No comments:

Post a Comment