Saturday, May 5, 2012

Choice makes all the difference

I've never been a gardener.  Probably because of being forced in to garden slave labour as a teenager.  So this is my first year of putting out a garden.  Thank goodness Don has many years of happy gardening memories!

What I've discovered is I'm enjoying it.  I enjoyed shopping for seeds, in fact, we really had to stop ourselves from going seed-crazy.  I enjoyed starting the seeds in my little green house this winter and watching them sprout.  And I've enjoyed planting them out in the beds, watching them grow.  I even took the failed attempts in stride.  So what makes now different from when I was a teenager?  A couple things I think but probably the biggest is choice.  I'm doing it this time because I want to, not because I'm forced to.  Choice is a huge motivator.

Now if we could just get the squirrels and bunnies to stop eating our beans.....

The garden as of today.

1 comment:

  1. I *love* it! Yay! That is what I miss this year having just moved into a small place with no yard. I had 2 huge raised beds that were my babies. Hope that the new owners will enjoy them. Keep posting and taking pics - would love to "see how your garden grows"!

    ReplyDelete