Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Things that make me giggle

For those who don't already know, I have almost zero respect or confidence in the media.  I view all news reports and articles with a very skeptical eye. Heck, who am I kidding...I don't believe a word they report until I've cross-checked it with several other sources.
Sometimes though they write things that make me wonder if they ever read what they write.  My favourite for the day is a headline on an AP story.


"Vatican mystery intensifies, bones found in grave"

OMG!!! They found bones in a grave.  Yeah, I can see how that's a mystery.....

Can't wait to read this reporter's next headline..."Unexpected discovery, priests found in Vatican".

In another news article apparently scientists are surprised to discover ancient sea creatures could die of old-age diseases.  Apparently scientists have been under the impression that old-age was a modern day thing.

Did you know there seems to be a trend in Walmart garden centers for getting bit by snakes.  Now, I'm not overly surprised by this...outdoor garden centers are probably nice places for snakes to hang out.  What I did find interesting was in one of the incidences, according the reporter, the snake was identified as a "copperhead rattlesnake".  Hmmm, interesting.  That must be a made-in-China Walmart special snake. Does anyone read over what reporters write anymore before it get published???

I remember as a kid newspapers were used as examples of good grammar and spelling.  Now it's rare to get through one article without finding at least one misspelling, bad grammar or wrong word.  Occasionally those amuse me.

"Caroline’s past support for Obama, which was mirrored by the late Sen. Ted Kennedy, caused a riff in the family." 

Caused a "riff" in the family? Now I have this mental image of the Kennedy clan jamming together on air guitars....pretty sure that isn't what the writer was trying to convey.

I have no doubt I could fill pages with the errors found just today in new reports, but I won't do that do you.  Instead, I think I go look for some more giggles.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment