Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mid Day Ramblings

Most people who know me know I have a The Plan™ for how I want to live.  I'm a big believer in self-sufficient, survival living.  Fortunately for me, so is Don.  So our plan is in 5 or so years to be in a position that we can sell the house here, move out west somewhere onto 10-40 acres and go off grid.  We've kinda talked about a very basic timeline for what needs to happen for The Plan™ to blossom but I'm a visual person so I really need to start putting things down in writing. 

The first thing that must happen is some bills paid off.  This sucks.  I was debt-free 3 years ago but with buying the house some other expenses happened so debt-free is the goal once again. 

We need to start seriously researching locations to start narrowing down where we want to look for property.  Right now Wyoming, Nebraska, South Dakota, Idaho, Montana and Utah are the places we're thinking of.  (If anyone has any good info on any of the places or areas within them, please share)  That said, we haven't ruled out a couple locations in South America.

We've already started to "practice" some things.  We've got the garden going.  I learned to can a couple years ago and I'm about to start experimenting with drying veggies.  We just started composting a couple weeks ago.  Still want to get a rain barrel.  

We've also started researching underground and straw bale houses.  I think that is the direction we are going to go.  Went to a home show last month and got a great education in solar power.  Sadly it's a little too pricey at the moment to install on the current house.  I really like the idea of the electric company paying me.  We also need to research wind power.  I like the idea of geothermal but Don is a bit iffy on that one. 


And yes, we are thinking about what we need to put in to bug-out bags in case things go south before we can execute The Plan™.


So here's a very rough schedule for things.


1. Pay off debt by end of 2013.
2. Research locations, narrow down to a couple by 2014.
3. Buy property sometime in 2014 - 2015.
4. Start building house in 2016.
5. Get ready to sell current house and move in 2017.


I already feel a step closer.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. robin and i have discussed this whole concept at length... have already done a lot of the research and willing to share... let me know if you want any pointers or directions to run...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel free to share any pointers, suggestions or directions you have. We're open to any and all ideas. We've even tossed around the idea of a 'community' type settlement on a larger piece of property.

    ReplyDelete